Kia’s first ever plug-in hybrid will be available in September, which is part of the manufacturer’s mission to lower the average CO₂ emissions of its range by 25% before the end of the decade. The vehicle will be priced at £31,495 after taking into account the Government’s £2,500 plug-in car grant.
The Optima PHEV combines a 154bhp 2.0-litre direct injection petrol engine with a 50kW (67bhp) electric motor powered by a 9.8kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack. The electric motor replaces the torque converter in the smooth-shifting six-speed automatic transmission. When working together, the combustion engine and motor generate 202bhp and 375Nm of torque.
The results are astonishing, key highlights include:
- Range up to 33 miles in all-electric mode
- CO₂ emissions of just 37g/km= Business users pay just 7% benefit-in-kind taxation
- Potential fuel economy of up to 176.6mpg
Comprehensive Standard Specification
The Optima PHEV is a unique, extensively equipped stand-alone model in the Optima range. Naturally, such a technologically advanced member of the Optima family comes with a comprehensive range of standard connectivity and advanced driver assistance features, including an 8.0-inch touch-screen navigation system with European mapping, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay (available later in the production run), Kia Connected Services powered by TomTom®, a wireless mobile phone charger, a 270o around-view monitor and a 10-speaker harman/kardon Premium Sound audio system with Clari-Fi technology to restore the sound lost when digital music files are heavily compressed. Active safety provisions include Electronic Stability Control, Vehicle Stability Management and Hill-start Assist Control.
The Optima PHEV also features 17-inch alloy wheels shod with 215/55 R17 tyres, LED daytime running lights and headlights – the latter with automatic levelling – welcome and follow-me-home lighting, black cloth and faux leather seats with four-way powered lumbar adjustment on the driver’s side, front and rear parking sensors, a reversing camera integrated into the navigation screen, dual-zone automatic air conditioning, a leather-trimmed steering wheel and gearshifter, steering wheel mounted controls, all-round electric windows, cruise control with a speed limiter, remote central locking and an electronic parking brake.
Uniquely in the Optima range, it has bespoke low-drag front and rear bumpers, the active air-flap grille, a blue tint to the headlights, blue chrome trim on the lower front air intake, upper grille and side sills and the exclusive navigation screen with a series of menus which help the driver to achieve the highest possible range in EV mode.
The Optima PHEV comes with a full suite of connectivity features, including Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- Android Auto- connects the car to the user’s smartphone and, via pre-downloaded apps, gives access to Google Maps navigation, Google Play music, hands-free calls and texts and voice recognition.
- Apple CarPlay– will enable full Siri voice control of the phone’s apps and functions while linking the car to Apple Maps, calls and text dictation, music streaming and audiobooks.
- 0-Inch Touch-Screen- Kia audio-visual navigation (AVN) system, operated via an 8.0-inch touch-screen and featuring Bluetooth hands-free mobile phone connectivity with audio streaming. The navigation screen is linked to a rear parking camera.
- Charging Points- Set up for EV driving, a series of menus show the car’s EV range at any time, nearby charging stations, energy usage based on driving style as well as other information to help the driver use the electrical energy stored in the batteries in the most efficient way.
- Digital radio linked with a 590-watt harman/kardon 10-speaker Premium Sound system, which includes an external amplifier and sub-woofer plus Clari-Fi technology
Intelligent fuel-saving and energy-harvesting technologies
The Optima PHEV is equipped with a number of technological innovations to help it use the power in its battery pack in the most efficient way and top up its batteries on the move.
- ECOnomy Driver Assistance System- featuring Coasting Guide Control, a Drive Mode Select button so that drivers can personalise the powertrain’s dynamics
- HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) Select switch: Pick from Hybrid (HEV) and Electric (EV) driving modes
Distinctive look and bespoke interior
A package of aerodynamic and styling changes distinguishes the Optima PHEV from other models in the range. Together, these make the PHEV more efficient at cutting through the air, thus saving precious energy, while ensuring that it is instantly recognisable as the most efficient car in the Optima range.
High- Strength Body and Active Safety Technologies
Like the Optima saloon, which earned a five-star rating in Euro NCAP impact tests, the Sportswagon will provide exemplary passive and active safety thanks to its high-strength lightweight body, occupant restraint systems and advanced active driver assistance features. Key aspects include:
- Advanced High- Strength Steels- Make up 51% of the body, reinforcing A and B- pillars, side sills, floor and front wheel arches.
- Safety as standard- Electronic Stability Control and Vehicle Stability Management come as standard, and automatically counteract any loss of traction.
- Parking has never been so simple- a 270 degree Around View Monior, with a reversing camera and front/ rear parking sensors mean you can park the PHEV with ease.
Warranty and After-Care
In keeping with every Kia, the Optima PHEV comes with the company’s unique-in-the-UK seven-year or 100,000-mile warranty, subject to certain wear and tear conditions. The warranty is fully transferable should the car be sold before the time or mileage limits have been reached. Should the car be sold through a Kia Used Approved dealership and the car is less than 18 months old or has fewer than 18,000 miles on the clock, it is topped up to match that of a new model.
For retail customers the Optima Sportswagon is available with Kia’s Care-3 and Care-3 Plus servicing packages, offering fixed-cost, inflation-proof servicing for the first three or five years.